Photo Credit: The Scent of Oranges
Mango yogurt smoothies are a great way to cool down during DC’s hot, humid summers.
Click more to see how you can make your own!
What You’ll Need
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 3 cups plain kefir or plain yogurt smoothie
- Ginger (to taste)
- Cinnamon (to taste)
How to Make It
- Pour 3 cups of plain kefir or plain yogurt smoothie into the blender. The yogurt will create a nice, tart balance to the sweetness of the mangoes. Locally, we enjoy using Clear Spring Creamery‘s plain yogurt smoothies for just the right amount of tartness and creamy consistency.
- Add 2 cups of frozen mango chunks. If you decide to use fresh mangos, make sure they are peeled and diced before adding to the yogurt. We prefer using frozen mangoes in this recipe because they instantly cool down the smoothie without diluting the flavor or consistency of the final product (as ice cubes would).
- Sprinkle a dash of ginger into the blender. You can also grate a small amount of real ginger root into the mix for a stronger ginger flavor.
- Press the “smoothie” setting on your blender. If your blender does not have a smoothie setting, start at the lowest setting for about 10 seconds, slowly increasing to the highest setting every 5-10 seconds. The total blending time (depending on your blender) will be about 60 seconds.
- Pour your smoothie into a glass and wash your blender. Yogurt is a pain to wash out of a blender, so do this step as soon as possible!
- Add cinnamon to taste.
To make your smoothie sweeter, add a teaspoon of honey after step 2. Try to avoid kefir or yogurt smoothies that have additional sugars/flavorings as they will overpower the taste of the mangoes.
The above recipe makes approximately 2 servings. You’ll want to consume immediately for optimal freshness.