If you dislike chores as much as we do, then you’ll enjoy our simple chores organizer. This little box will help you keep track of all your chores lets you quickly organize what you need to do, when you need to do it.
Click more to learn how to make your own chores organizer!
What You’ll Need
- 1 index card box
- 1 box of 3” x 5” multicolored index cards
- 1 set of index card box dividers
- 1 pen
- Label maker (optional)
- Determine what chores you need to do for your living space. We suggest using Real Simple’s cleaning checklists as a starting point.
- Write each chore and how often you will need to do it at the top of each index card. So, for example, “Vacuum bedroom – weekly” would go on one card, “Iron clothes – weekly” would go on another, etc. You can also further organize your chores by color-coding the cards you use for chores in each room. So, for example, chores in your bedroom could be orange, chores in your bathroom could be green, etc.
- Create dividers for each month and weeks 1 – 4. See the picture above for a guide. You can also purchase pre-made monthly dividers, use a label maker, or just write them in by hand.
- Organize your cards. Place your chores in the box according to when you’ll need to do them. When you complete a chore, take it out of the current week’s tasks and move it to the next time you have to do it. So, for example, let’s say one of your cards is “Wash bedding – weekly.” Once you’ve completed that task for the week, move it to next week’s tab.
- Finish your chores. The not-so-fun part! By following step 4 each time you finish a chore, you’ll visibly see when all your chores are done.
- Update each month. When one month is over, move its divider to the back of your box and transfer the dividers for weeks 1 – 4.
With all of your chores centralized in one place, it’ll become easier to keep track of what you’ve done and what you need to do for the week, month, or season. While it won’t make chores any more enjoyable, it will keep you organized so that you’ll have more free time to spend on the things you actually do enjoy!